Nordic Theatre Studies Call for special issue article proposals
28 September, 2018 by Chris Collins | 0 comments
Editors of the international journal Nordic Theatre Studies (NTS) invite scholars of theatre and performance to submit article proposals for the issue on theatre and memory wars
Editors of the international journal Nordic Theatre Studies (NTS) invite scholars of theatre and performance to submit article proposals for the issue on theatre and memory wars.
The issue of ”memory wars” relates both to the political violence and armed conflicts of the past and conflicting memories of the violent historical experiences in contemporary societies. The confrontation of different and often opposite interpretations of history appears particularly relevant with the recent rise of the rhetoric of war (information war, new cold war, hybrid warfare, war on terrorism, etc.) often relating to (or rooted in) the prior historical conflicts and their popular or institutional memory in different states and social groups.
World War II and the violence of the Holocaust, as well as post-war occupations, mass deportations and political persecutions had a crucial impact on the cultures of history and memory in different countries around the Baltic sea and still support deep divisions along social and ethnic lines and along the lines of regional and European identities. The issue of memory wars has a broad appeal as it can focus on the conflicting, inconsistent and agonistic nature of historical evaluations and memories.
Topics of interest for submission include, but are not limited to the following:
- Memories of wars in theatre productions, performances and re-enactments
- World War II in European theatrical memory;
- Performing conflict and sharing memories in contemporary theatre;
- Contest, conflict and consensus in collective memory;
- Practices and performances of memory, memorials, commemorations and reenactments;
- From agonism to antagonism: memory, democracy, participation, theatre;
- Nostalgia, ostalgia and counter-memories in Eastern Europe.
Please find the NTS style guidelines at: https://tidsskrift.dk/nts/autho
The schedule for contributing:
The deadline for the submission of article proposals (abstracts): 15 October 2018;
- Notification of acceptance: by 1 November 2018;
- Submission of full article: 1 March 2019;
- Peer-reviewing: March – September 2019.
Please send your proposals to Edgaras Klivis: email@example.com
Nordic Theatre Studies is the leading academic journal for theatre researchers in the Nordic and Baltic countries and for all scholars writing about theatre and performance related to these countries. Authors who attended the “Memory War” conference in Kaunas may also submit proposal regardless of whether they are from the region or are writing about the region.